Friday, February 14, 2014

Starbucks in China

Starbucks in China opens in the early morning.  I sometimes meet up with friends or just go there to have breakfast after I drop off girls at school before 8:00A.  It is quiet without many customers in the morning.  Starbucks here in the US is crowded in the morning with people coming and going to get coffee for a refreshing morning.  I actually LOVE Starbucks in China, it is one of those places that reminded me of home in US, which I  missed from time to time while I was living in Guangzhou.  I remember the first time went to the Starbucks in Guangzhou’s CBD (ZhuJiangXinCheng) by Children’s Palace where Selena took her gymnastics class.  The small coffee shop was packed with foreigners.  With all the English speaking guests around, I felt like I was in the States.  That was such a welcome feeling for me who was away from the US  for six years--it was like missing a bit of home. At the
time, I missed the fireplace, the comfy sofa, my Chai Latte and the entire community feeling.  Each time when I was looking from the window facing the street, I though of people who walked on the street no matter in the rain or under the sun, they might be just like me -- people who came from other places  to live in this big fancy city.  Where is home?  Home is where your heart sets, home is where your family members are, home is where you are with your loved ones, your children, your parents, your husband or wife. 
When I was complaining once how uncomfortable the Starbucks couch was, my friend said you were not supposed to sit here for very long.  They need other customers coming and going J  Yes, it was in China.  Now, when I am in the Starbucks here near our Bellevue home, I miss my  China friends.
My friend Lan, lives in the same building above Starbucks.  She likes to go down there to have a quiet morning just for herself. Sometimes we run into each other at Starbucks downstairs, most the time, we met for breakfast there. She is the girls' "godmother" a virtuous Chinese lady.  Another friend of mine, named Yan lived just a mile away from me along the beautiful Pearl River. Sometimes we would run into each other when we were both walking by the riverbank for exercise, sometimes we met at Starbucks near her home for coffee.  When we met, we each brought other a book for exchange.   Those are the most memorable time for me at Starbucks in China with my dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment