Monday, February 3, 2014

Back in the US for Chinese New Year

We were invited to a big gathering with our friend in their gorgeous new home on Feb 01 with four other of their family’s friends for a potluck party.  It included a total six families with 12 children and four grandparents.  It was nice to celebrate the new year with a big family gathering and we appreciate this as a welcome home party.  
I often still miss my friends in Guangzhou. They always dressed up and wore make up to each gathering.  While in China, our family hosted a few parties in our Guangzhou home, although most of time we went out together to eat in a nice restaurant.  Shortly after the potluck started, the party separated into different groups, grandparents, children, daddies and mommies.  Most families are pretty low key in their dress or make up, a few girls dressed in Qipao which were really cute.  The only NO change was the topic among mommies, – ALL ABOUT CHILDREN. 


Ads by Media PlayerAd Options
It seems to me that, America Born Chinese(ABC) will share the same stress if their parents share the same “determination” of having their children to go to an Ivy League school.  Our friend’s daughter applied for  Lakeside school again which is where Bill Gates and his partner Paul Allen graduated from.   Most likely she will get accepted this time.  From what I heard, this daughter is already in a highly gifted program, she plays piano and violin, she runs track and is an excellent member of a swimming team, and of course her drawing is marvelous.  Our oldest one Selena adores her and they are good friends.  All mommies in the party work for big companies like Microsoft, Starbucks and investment groups.  Not all agree that an Ivy League school is the best choice (which I do agree on that).  Sometimes I think, when your child is very close to the top, you might not want to give up for that hope. 
For me, I feel the change from China to the US has been dramatic.  I am struggling with the choice right now if we should send Selena to a better public school or just do whatever the school district assigns to her, before we send her to a private school next year. I am open to the idea of her going to the public middle school with her new friends and see how things go before making a decision.
While living in China, I was greatly impacted by the experiences I had in working with Jasmine (our  6 year old) as she had the chance to sing in national talent competitions.  I told her you always have to get yourself ready first, but do not push too hard.  It can only cause extra stress and pushing can cause one to abuse the power or money which you may have.   I have become stronger in the opinion to let children grow naturally, happily and healthy.  Again, I think that although Harvard is a great school, being a fireman is just wonderful too.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Lea,

    I love your comment "...I think that although Harvard is a great school, being a fireman is just wonderful too" and agree that children should grow naturally, happily and healthy. College/university, in my opinion, should neither be presumed for every child nor the only option to a successful career.

    Regards,
    Susan Morgan
    mosusan2004@yahoo.com
    mom to four, two from China (Guixi, Jiangxi, and Lu'an City, Anhui)

    ReplyDelete